Is Greyfriars Bobby getting his lamppost back.Posted: April 28, 2011
The pavement refurbishment on George IV Bridge could include a replcement lamppost for Greyfriars Bobby.
The statue situated on Candlemaker Row was unvieled without ceremony in 1873.
It was erected by Baroness Angelia Georgina Burdett-Coutts, President of the Ladies Committee of the RSPCA, with the permission of the City Council.The original statue contained a fountain for the public with bronze cups chained to it and at ground level a drinking trough for dogs. Bronze cups were used because the copper in the bronze kills germs and is hardwearing. They new a thing or two in those days.
There was also a gaslight behind the statue which illuminated the statue at night. This light was cut down to the height of the railings and stoppered when the city streetlights were converted to electricity. After a further refurbishment it was removed altogether
Now there are tell-tale signs that the City Council is replacing the lamp during the refurbishment of the pavements on George IV Bridge. To plastic pipes can be seen behind the statue of Bobby suitable for electric cables.
This idea of replacing the light at the famous and most photographed statue in Edinburgh came from the One o’clock Gun and Timeball Association.
Local historian George Robinson has recently compiled ‘The Greyfriars Bobby A-Z in fact & fiction’.
The book is available from Edinburgh Books, West Port, priced £5.00.